Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jakes Corner.






















Amy and I started this tradition a few years ago on a rainy day. We drove up the b-line to see my best friends-mothers grave and to say hello. On the way there we stopped at this hole in the wall bar called "jakes corner". we played the jukebox and met all kinds of people. While there we met this old man named Bill. We call him Blue eyes. He and his best friend were there together and they mentioned how they had no pictures of the two of them. So I took one, wrote down old bill's address and mailed the pictures to him that week. I never knew if he ever had gotten them. Well, the other week I called my girls up and said lets go to jakes corner, lets get out of here. So we went. And guess who was sitting up at the bar with his motorized wheel chair behind him?? Bill. It had been almost 3 years since we had seen him. He saw us and started to cry and wouldn't take his hands off of us. He thanked us for the photos. We danced, played music, talked, ate beans and hot dogs and made sure that he knew how much we loved him. He cried a lot that day. There was a movie made there too and everyone is the bar was proud of that. There was one lady who told us she was famous for the line "Beans are up!" ha ha. After our time there we went up the road and I stopped and talked to my best friends mother. It was raining and beautiful and the clouds were low. I miss her. It was a nice afternoon drive and then some. Good old Jakes Corner on a rainy day. :)

5 comments:

Scott and Melissa said...

What a fun day!! Blue eyes hasn't changed a bit!

Anonymous said...

Aawwww, you made his day (maybe even his life)! It sounds like a trip that was good for the soul.

Burdett Family said...

Thats so cool that he was there. I bet he is so appreciative. I'm glad you had a nice trip.

kimberly said...

what an angel you are, linz....i can't even imagine what a blessing you were to him that day!
love you,

Trashy Decor said...

such a sweet day! you girls are way too cute! love all of the pics! always the best!

xoxo