Wednesday, February 25, 2009

FreeBirthing

Have you ever heard of this? I watched a documentary on it last night and it blew my mind. These ladies are serious warriors with no fear of anything. I could never do it because I would be too scared of something happening but not these ladies. They deliver their own babies. Just them and their husbands or partners or friends. They dont go to the hospital, they sit in a tub of water and push themselves, pull the baby out themselves, cut the cord, everything! NO midwife, dr, nurse. This one lady looked like she was just relaxing in the tub and out came her baby. She said nothing, didn't scream, cry or speak. She just pulled her daughter out and held her and cried softly. I cried while watching it because it was SO amazing. I've never seen such courage. I admire those woman who have given birth naturally with no pain medicine (shout out to my mom, my sister Dara and my friend amber) but I couldn't do it. I could but I didn't want to. ha. There was something so natural and beautiful about these women delivering their own babies. We as women have been doing this for centuries. In England it is illegal to do it alone. Even if you are in the room with the mother, you could be convicted of aiding in the act! How stupid. The dangers are real but man when it goes smoothly its something to watch. Too bad I'm not having any more kids or I would try it. Syke.

8 comments:

Trashy Decor said...

I have watched that too.
And I would NEVER try it... at least not at this point in life.

xoxo

Laura Shanley said...

It's actually not illegal in England (although the documentary didn't make this clear). It's illegal for someone to claim they're a midwife when they're not. But as Beverley Beech (chairwoman on the Assoc. for Improvements in Maternity Services) said, "Anyone who tells a woman it's illegal to have a freebirth in the UK is either misinformed, ignorant, or lying." I've known many women in the UK who have had freebirths, and none of them have been prosecuted. I'm glad you enjoyed the program!

Daydreaming, tree hugging human named lindsey said...

holy cow. I guess I was wrong. woops! Sorry Laura! :)how in the world did you see my post? ha

Campbell Family said...

Yikes...somebody told you what's up with "free birthing" didn't they! I'm not giving up on you having more kids yet. Just wait.....you don't know what your future holds in store for you:)

Daydreaming, tree hugging human named lindsey said...

I'm not having any more sis. I have a world to explore and fake boobs to get.

Trashy Decor said...

Aw, fake boobs! Me too!

Burdett Family said...

you are so funny if you think you would try it I no you to well and there ain't no way. I have done it with no pain killer and I would never ever even dream of it because it would be a nightmare.

Lona said...

Dearest Lindsey,
If I would have tried that I would have died on my first child and you wouldn't have been born, due to hemorrhaging. But, I will say that having 5 kids naturally (Lamaze) was a piece of cake compared to having the last one with an epideral, that made me sick. So glad that I am a grandma now and done with that part of my life. Some things are just stupid.